It’s finally 2019, and while all may be merry and bright, things can get a bit crazy this time of year. We’re all rushing around after meeting friends and relatives, decorating our homes, cooking up delicious feasts and buying gifts for loved ones. All the while, regular life goes on! We still have to go to work, get to school, take care of the family, meet deadlines and stay on target.
Here are some of our favorite tips on how to stay focused after the holiday season:
- Set goals. When things get chaotic, the last thing you want to do is wing it. The best way to get through busy times with your sanity still intact is by strategizing.
- Make lists. Lists are your best friend when it comes to remaining organized and on task. Everyone feels overwhelmed and unhinged when everything we have to do is running amuck and bumping around inside our heads. Simply writing down what needs to be done alleviates a great deal of stress on its own!
- Prioritize. After the list, comes the next list! Rewrite your tasks in order of importance. By importance, we mean time constraints, necessity and difficulty. Be sure to think hard about what is actually a priority in order to avoid unnecessary stress and make sure you have time to get the important things done!
- Set deadlines. It is paramount to set deadlines when it comes to staying focused. Without set accomplishment dates, there is no accountability.
- Be decisive. Don’t spend too much time wracking your brain during this busy season; we’ve all got a lot on the brain. Go with what your gut is telling you.
- Set boundaries. The holidays are a difficult time for many of us. We want to do everything for everyone, even when we don’t have the means to. It’s important to set healthy boundaries in order to keep ourselves from going under. Don’t go broke. Don’t overwork yourself, but at the same time, don’t compromise your career for others. Enjoy your time with friends and family, but don’t overextend yourself trying to please everyone else.
- Set aside “you time”. It’s impossible to keep focused and do everything you have to do if you’re not taking care of yourself. Whether it’s cozying up and watching a new movie or heading out for a January celebration with your best friends, you do you!