In light of the 2018 Winter Olympics, we couldn’t help but notice the similarities between sports and business. The same qualities that breed success in the world’s elite athletes are necessary in becoming a success in the entrepreneurial world. In fact, you may notice that many businesses pride themselves on having a “sports-minded” basis for their operation and the mentality of their employees.
If you’ve every played a sport before, you know what it takes to be the best athlete you can be. Playing sports is more than just a way to pass the time and be part of something fun. Playing a sport teaches you essential skills that translate to all aspects of your life; one of the most important being your career.
What does it mean to be sports-minded in the world of business? Think of the attributes of a great athlete. The greatest athletes are determined, disciplined, motivated, strong and hard working. They don’t make excuses and they aren’t easily discouraged. Those same principles are applicable to business. That is what it means to be sports-minded in the business world.
It is easy to separate those who are sports-minded from those who aren’t in the work place. If you make a conscious effort to strengthen your work ethic and think more like an athlete, you will have a definite edge over those who don’t. Here are some advantages of sports-minded people:
- They know how to self motivate. The ability to self motivate is critical, particularly for entrepreneurial success. Sports-minded people know how to tap into their own reservoir of motivations and they don’t need anyone else to push them to succeed.
- They have impeccable work ethic. Sports-minded people know that success isn’t going to be handed to them on a silver platter. They know they are going to have to get up every day and work their butts off for it. And they are happy to do it because nothing is more satisfying than knowing you earned every bit of what you’ve got.
- They are willing to learn. Willingness to learn is an invaluable trait in business. Being stubborn or arrogant is a fast way to get nowhere. Being open to learn new things from people who have been there and done that is super important for growth and development.
- They’re team players. It’s no surprise that people who are sports-minded have a strong team spirit. These kinds of people are key assets to any business, as they are naturals at supporting and building up other members of the team. No matter what the business, functional teamwork is essential.
- They don’t back down. Sports-minded people aren’t afraid of a challenge, (or at least they don’t show it!). They face new challenges head on and they never back down. Rising to the challenge is an important part of growth, building confidence and expanding skills.
- They lose gracefully. Sport-minded people know that you win some and you lose some. They know that when you lose, there is also something to be gained. When something doesn’t go as planned, you will always learn something and you can apply that knowledge the next time around.
- They don’t give up. No matter what happens, sports-minded people do not give up on themselves or their dreams. There will be many obstacles. There will be many people who doubt you. Doors will close in your face. But, you have to believe in yourself and keep picking yourself back up. All it takes is for that one door to open or that one person to believe in you. But you’ll never know if you give up on yourself.
It is definitely safe to say that there is a correlation between being sports-minded in the workplace and entrepreneurial success. Remember to keep your eye on the prize and you will be on your way to the top in no time!
To learn more about Blue Chip Endeavors, check us out in Twitter!