It may seem like an odd question. Of course, you know yourself. But how much insight do you really have into how you think and operate? How aware are you of how your decisions impact your reality? Unless you deliberately stop and think about it, you may not know yourself as well as you think.
Many people lack insight into their lives. It’s not a matter of intelligence, it’s a matter of taking the time to mindfully look into your thoughts, decisions, life choices and reality. In addition, you’ll have to take ownership of the role you’ve played in the outcome of your own life. That isn’t easy for everyone.
The good thing is, once you take responsibility, you have the power to control your own destiny! The first step is gaining the insight. Here are some questions we should all be asking ourselves periodically:
- What are my values? Knowing your values is the first step to really knowing yourself. It means knowing the core of your being- what you stand for and what you believe. If you don’t know what you stand for, can you really know who you are?
- What are my long-term goals? It’s important to have aspirations for your life. If you haven’t really mapped that out, where are you going? What are you shooting for?
- What are my short-term goals? It’s equally important to have shot-term goals. Without short-term goals, we get lost and waste time.
- What matters most to me in life? Knowing what is most important to you will help you to set your priorities.
- What would I do if I weren’t afraid? This is a big one. Is fear the only thing standing in the way? What is the worst thing that can happen if you fail? Why haven’t you gone for it?
- What is my biggest failure? Why would you want to think about your biggest failure? This one can be difficult to think about, but there is a lot you can learn from it. Why do you consider it your biggest failure? What was the outcome, and how did you handle it? How did you bounce back, and what did it take for you to get to where you are from that moment? What did you learn from it? How do you apply the lesson today?
- What is my proudest accomplishment? Why does this moment stand out to you? What does this moment mean to you and say about your character and achievements? What did the experience teach you, and how does it apply to your life today?
- What do I want to change about myself. If there is something you would like to change about yourself, what is it and why? Is it possible to make the change? What do you have to do to work on this? How will it change your life?
- What am I not happy with in my life? What are the biggest issues going on in your life right now. Are they out of your hands, or can you change them? What can you do to change your circumstances?
- What habits do I need to change? How are you contributing to the success in your life? How are your habits inhibiting the success in your life? What do you need to change to better yourself?
Take the time to get to know yourself on a deeper level, and do it often! We all change and grow on a frequent basis. The only way to be our best selves is to know ourselves.
To learn more about Blue Chip Endeavors, check us out on Pinterest!